Monument to Estonian soldiers killed in the Liberation War Manors, museums & monumentsVeselavas pagasts, Cēsu novads
The first monument to commemorate the battles of Cēsis was unveiled on August 5, 1923, in Veselava Parish, at the same time as the consecration of the new cemetery. The first President of the Republic of Latvia Jānis Čakste and the Estonian Ambassador to Latvia Jūlijs Saljema took part in its opening. It was consecrated by Pastor Pēteris Apkalns.
The author of the sketch of the monument was Kārlis Biernis, the owner of Ķikuri houses in Veselava parish, but it was made of concrete by craftsman Dāvids Gruzde, the granite slab was carved by Cēsis stonemason A.Sproģis.
In the summer of 1919, one of the main events during Latvia’s freedom struggles took place – the Battle of Cēsis. 16 Estonian soldiers fell near Veselava, four of them were taken to Estonia, and twelve were buried in Veselava cemetery. The monument was built on the initiative of local residents. In 2000, the monument was restored and improved with the support of the Ministry of Defense of the Republic of Latvia, Cēsis District Council and Veselava Parish Council.